Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Co-creating displays - Reflection from an Elementary Education Student #classroomdisplays

Quotes:

            "She planned to take down the finished displays right after the lessons, but she left them up for a few days, and interesting things began to happen."

 

            I chose this quote because of the feeling it gave me when I read it.  It was an small burst of excitement that I felt because I knew exactly what the author was talking about and where she was going with it.  Before even reading on I knew that the "interesting things" were going to be students using the displaying and interacting with them after the conclusion of the lesson.  This quote along describes the importance of co-constructed displays.

 

Connections:

            Reading the article about the classroom co-construction displays reminded me of my unit on the five senses that I taught in my pre-service classroom.  Throughout the unit we created four charts that described how we use each of our senses.  At the end of the unit the students had to complete a booklet about all five senses.  I saw them referring back to the charts for ideas and spelling of words that we discussed.  This showed me how effective it is to create and use co-constructed displays.

I so wish comments were enabled on this student's blog!
References :
Co-Constructing Classroom Resources
And
Beyond Pilgrim Hats and Turkeys
That 'aha' moment when we connect our own practice with the research is so valuable. The more evidence we find for the importance of co-construction of displays the harder it is to justify the emptiness of the teacher, or TA, created work of perfection. I'd love to invite this student to join our Classroom Displays flickr group but he's walled up in his college silo!

No comments: