Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Classroom Walls: We Don't Need No Thought Control

The most engaging bulletin board I've ever crafted was pretty much effortless, however. Teachers in my building rotated responsibility for the front hall showcase, and when it was my turn, I asked teachers to share photos of themselves when they were young. Teachers contributed baby pictures, graduation pictures, snapshots of themselves shooting baskets, cheerleading and diving off the high board. One chunky gray-haired special ed teacher provided a formal wedding portrait, in which she was blond and sylph-like.

I printed up the words to Crosby, Stills & Nash's Teach Your Children Well, then arranged the unlabeled photos around the lyrics. That bulletin board was a kid magnet, every day-- a visual meditation on becoming yourself, because the past is just a goodbye.

So it goes.

Lovely idea for a shared areas display and a fascinating & thought provoking article.

No comments: